IR thermographic flow visualisation on wind turbines
Turbulent flow separation on rotor blades of wind turbines induces a sudden decrease of torque and an increase in drag. Besides aerodynamic performance loss, occur structural loads and increasing acoustic emissions. To be able to investigate the physical flow effects during the operation of wind turbines as well as the resulting mechanisms, a measuring method for the detection and localization of flow separation is required.
The research project aims to detect and localize flow separation by using thermographic flow visualization.
Subtasks of the thesis:
- Performance of open area measurements
- Evaluation of measurement data with already implemented signal processing concepts
- Analysis of the measurement chain, parameter studies
- Interest in optical metrology, fluid mechanics and heat transfer
- Programming experience in MATLAB or Python is useful
- Independent and responsible way of working